These units cover the skills and knowledge required to participate in rescue operations as a member of a rescue team and includes gaining access to and extricating casualties from vehicles that have crashed on the road, such as cars, motorcycles, buses, vans, tracks and semi-trailers, whilst minimising the potential for further injury and preserving the integrity of evidence.
These units are applicable to members of rescue teams and requires responders to access casualties using a range of techniques, and to operate specialist equipment to undertake the rescue.
- Prepare and respond to rescue
- Contribute to a risk assessment at the scene
- Perform rescue
- Conclude rescue operations
- Prepare and respond to road crash rescue
- Establish and maintain rescue scene safety
- Manage casualties
- Remove casualties from vehicle
- Conclude road crash rescue operations
Students who attend and successfully meet all assessment requirements of the course will receive a nationally recognised statement of attainment with the following unit of competency: PUASAR024 Undertake road crash rescue & PUASAR022 Participate in a rescue operation
There is a maximum number of 10 participants per program.
To meet the course requirements, students must:
- Have sufficient English language, literacy and numeracy skills to read instructions and write assessments
- Provide their USI on enrolment
- Provide proof of identity, e.g. drivers licence
- Be physically fit and able to carry at least 20 kgs of weight
- Wear or bring long sleeve, long pants or overalls, safety boots, safety glasses, sun hat
It is essential that the prerequisite units listed below are obtained prior to the issuance of this unit to individuals within the fire sector or the units contributing to the attainment of a fire qualification.
- HLTAID003/HLTAID011 Provide first aid
- PUASAR022 Participate in a rescue operation (This unit is delivered as part of this course and you will need to be deemed competent prior to completing the Road crash rescue component)
Students are required to be able to complete the following tasks:
- communicate with others clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- find and use relevant information
- read and comply with work instructions and specifications
- read and record measurements
- record and report information neatly and legibly