This course applies to firefighting personnel who work as a member of a crew to apply appropriate fire control strategies and safe work practices to extinguish a wildfire. It includes preparing to respond to fire; proceeding to fire; obtaining and using firefighting equipment and extinguishing media; combating wildfire; observing and reacting to wildfire and weather conditions; participating in mop up and patrol activities; supporting operations and recovering and storing equipment.
Work at this level is often undertaken without direct supervision and instruction. There may be some level of supervision of other members of the crew at this level.
- Receive and report details of wildfire
- Prepare to respond to fire
- Proceed to fire
- Protect people and assets
- Obtain and use firefighting equipment and extinguishing media
- Combat wildfire
- Observe and react to wildfire and weather conditions
- Conduct mop up and patrol activities and support operations
- Recover, maintain and store equipment
Students who attend and successfully meet all assessment requirements of the course will receive a nationally recognised statement of attainment with the following unit of competency: PUAFIR204 Respond to wildfire and PUAFIR303 Suppress wildfire.
There is a maximum number of 10 participants per program.
To meet the course requirements, students must:
- Have sufficient English language, literacy and numeracy skills to read instructions and write assessments
- Provide their USI on enrolment
- Provide proof of pre-requisite requirements
- Provide proof of identity, e.g. drivers licence
- Be physically fit and able to carry at least 20 kgs of weight
- Wear or bring long sleeve, long pants or overalls, safety boots, safety glasses, sun hat
PUAFIR210 Prevent injury
PUAFIR204 Respond to wildfire (Delivered as part of this course)
Students are required to be able to complete the following tasks:
- communicate with others clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- find and use relevant information
- read and comply with work instructions and specifications
- read and record measurements
- record and report information neatly and legibly