This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to confirm collection requirements, prepare client and equipment and collect specimens via urine and/or oral and breath testing following the special procedures that apply for drugs of abuse testing. This unit applies to individuals working in collection centres, in hospitals, in other healthcare environments and workplaces where drugs of abuse testing takes place.
- The selection, preparation and use of compliant equipment and collection kits.
- Successfully collected urine, oral fluid or breath specimens for drugs of abuse testing and how to interpret those results.
- Context for drugs of abuse testing.
- Legal and ethical considerations.
- Pre-collection, during and post-collection procedures required to meet chain of custody requirements.
- Collection procedures required to meet chain of custody requirements, including:
- Client supervision and seclusion.
- Documentation requirements.
- Integrity testing of samples as required by standard.
- Storage and transportation procedures required to meet chain of custody requirements.
- Collection procedures that eliminates the opportunity to tamper with specimen.
Students who attend and successfully meet all assessment requirements of the course will receive a nationally recognised statement of attainment with the following unit of competency: HLTPAT005 Collect Specimens for Drugs of Abuse Testing
There is a maximum number of 10 participants per program.
To meet the course requirements, students must:
- Have sufficient English language, literacy and numeracy skills to read instructions and write assessments
- Provide their USI on enrolment
- Provide proof of identity, e.g. drivers licence
- Wear or bring long sleeve, long pants and closed in shoes
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Students are required to be able to complete the following tasks:
- communicate with others clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- find and use relevant information
- read and comply with work instructions and specifications
- read and record measurements
- record and report information neatly and legibly