The HAZMAT course is a nationally accredited course that is designed to provide students with the essential knowledge and skills to allow them to respond to incidents involving hazardous materials as a member of an emergency response team, across a variety of industries.
The course covers the following broad areas:
- Safety and hazard information as well as PPE.
- Self-contained breathing apparatus and airline equipment
- Operations in contaminated environments and the decontamination of themselves, casualties and equipment.
- HAZMAT response equipment.
Students who attend and successfully meet all assessment requirements of the course will receive a nationally recognised statement of attainment with the following unit of competency: PUAFIR320 Render hazardous materials incidents safe and PUAFIR308B Employ personal protection at a hazardous materials incident.
There is a maximum number of 12 participants per program.
PUAFIR207B Operate breathing apparatus open circuit
PUAFIR215 Prevent injury
Students are required to be able to complete the following physical tasks:
- Able to undertake physically demanding work
- Handle and wear on your back up to 15kg weights
- Wear and breath through an enclosed face mask and additional PPE