These units cover the skills and knowledge required to undertake rescues in confined spaces and use specific equipment to detect airborne contaminants, liquids and solids at a hazardous materials incident as a member of a single organisation or team involving multiple organisations.
Note: This course is a new release but is equivalent to Confined Space Rescue course which is still available for students to book until June 2021.
- Prepare for confined space rescue operation
- Assess and manage confined space rescue
- Determine location and condition of casualties
- Gain entry to confined space
- Remove casualties
- Conclude rescue operations
- Assess hazardous materials incident
- Identify and assess hazards at incident
- Develop an entry plan
- Implement entry plan
- Review entry plan
Students who attend and successfully meet all assessment requirements of the course will receive a nationally recognised statement of attainment with the following unit of competency: PUASAR025 Undertake confined space rescue, PUAFIR306 Identify, detect and monitor hazardous materials at an incident.
There is a maximum number of 10 participants per program.
To meet the course requirements, students must:
Have sufficient English language, literacy and numeracy skills to read instructions and write assessments
- Provide their USI on enrolment
- Provide proof of identity, e.g. drivers licence
- Be physically fit and able to carry at least 20 kgs of weight
- Be clean shaven as per AS 1715
- Be able to manage feelings of claustrophobia
- Be able to climb ladders or stairs under load
- Wear or bring long sleeve, long pants or overalls, safety boots, safety glasses, sun hat
It is essential that the prerequisite units listed below are obtained prior to the issuance of this unit to individuals within the fire sector or the units contributing to the attainment of a fire qualification.
- PUAFIR306 Identify, detect and monitor hazardous materials at an incident (This unit is delivered as part of this course and you will need to be deemed competent prior to completing the Confined space component)
- PUASAR022 Participate in a rescue operation
- PUAFIR207 Operate breathing apparatus open circuit
Students are required to be able to complete the following tasks:
- communicate with others clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- find and use relevant information
- read and comply with work instructions and specifications
- read and record measurements
- record and report information neatly and legibly