The Operate pumps course conducted by Safety & Emergency Training Services is a nationally accredited course that is designed to provide students with the essential knowledge and skills to allow them to operate a portable and/or appliance-mounted pump at an incident. This unit applies personnel responsible for operating centrifugal, appliance-mounted and portable pumps and foams systems at an incident. Typically, this work requires the application of the basic principles of hydraulics i.e. the study and behaviour of water.
The course also includes how to prepare, maintain and test response equipment.
Prepare pump to deliver water
Conclude pump operations
Inspect response equipment
Test response equipment
Clean, maintain and restow equipment
Students who attend and successfully meet all assessment requirements of the course will receive a nationally recognised statement of attainment with the following unit of competency: PUAFIR309 Operate Pumps and PUAEQU001 Prepare, maintain and test response equipment.
There is a maximum number of 10 participants per program.
To meet the course requirements, students must:
- Have sufficient English language, literacy and numeracy skills to read instructions and write assessments
- Provide their USI on enrolment
- Provide proof of pre-requisites
- Provide proof of identity, e.g. drivers licence
- Be physically fit and able to carry at least 15 kgs of weight
- Wear or bring long sleeve, long pants or overalls, safety boots, safety glasses, sun hat
PUAFIR210 Prevent injury
PUAEQU001 Prepare, maintain and test response equipment (included in this course)
And one of the following four units:
PUAFIR203 Respond to urban fire
PUAFIR220 Respond to isolated structure fire
PUAFIR204 Respond to wildfire
PUAFIR205 Respond to aviation incident (specialist)
Students are required to be able to complete the following tasks:
- communicate with others clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- find and use relevant information
- read and comply with work instructions and specifications
- read and record measurements
- record and report information neatly and legibly