The Occupational First Aid course conducted by SETS Enterprises is a nationally accredited course that is designed to provide students with the essential knowledge and skills to allow them to provide initial advanced care to casualties as well as manage a first aid or medical room, across a variety of industries. This course will allow students to meet the requirements for workplace first aid facilities. The course covers the following broad areas:
- DRSABCD and the guidelines set forth by the Australian Resuscitation Council.
- Development of workplace risk assessments and medical response plan.
- Maintenance of workplace first aid equipment and facilities including workplace first aid kits.
- Maintenance of workplace documentation for regulatory requirements.
- The use of airway management equipment.
- Oxygen equipment for therapy, resuscitation and suction as well as maintenance. Use of an Automatic External Defibrillator.
- Visual and verbal assessment techniques.
- Casualty vital sign collection (respiration, pulse & temperature).
- Communication with a team of first aiders & other medical responders
- Manual handling techniques.
- Incident debriefing and evaluation.
- Verbal and written incident reporting.
- Triage of workplace incidents.
- Initial care for the following injuries or medical conditions:
o Respiratory distress, including asthma, choking, airway obstruction, allergic reaction &
o Bleeding control and basic extended wound care, burns and shock
o Envenomation, using pressure immobilisation techniques
o Environmental illnesses, hyperthermia and hypothermia
o Fractures and possible spinal injuries, sprains and strains, using arm slings, roller bandages
or other appropriate immobilisation techniques
This course may be conducted at either the SETS Enterprises training facility or your
workplace. This course is delivered through a combination of classroom learning, small group discussion and
practical activities in either a simulated or workplace setting.
Students who attend and successfully meet all assessment requirements of the course will receive a nationally recognised statement of attainment with the following unit of competency: HLTSS0027 Occupational First Aid, HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid, HLTAID007 Provide advanced resuscitation, and HLTAID008 Manage first aid services and facilities
This course can be conducted at North Lake, Balcatta or at any facility that has a suitable classroom and training area.
There is a maximum number of 12 participants per program.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Students are required to be able to complete the following physical tasks:
- Perform 2 minutes of continuous CPR
- Able to assist with the movement of a casualty
- Ability to deal with stressful situations