The HAZMAT course is a nationally accredited course that is designed to provide students with the essential knowledge and skills to allow them to respond to incidents involving hazardous materials as a member of an emergency response team, across a variety of industries.
Note: This course has superseded but is equivalent to the HAZMAT course which is still available for students to book until at least Oct 2020
The course covers the following broad areas:
- Safety and hazard information as well as PPE.
- Self-contained breathing apparatus and airline equipment
- Operations in contaminated environments and the decontamination of themselves, casualties and equipment.
- HAZMAT response equipment.
Students who attend and successfully meet all assessment requirements of the course will receive a nationally recognised statement of attainment with the following unit of competency: PUAFIR324 Render hazardous materials incidents safe & PUAFIR308 Employ personal protection at a hazardous materials incident
There is a maximum number of 12 participants per program.
PUAFIR207B Operate breathing apparatus open circuit
PUAFIR215 Prevent injury
Students are required to be able to complete the following physical tasks:
- Able to undertake physically demanding work
- Handle and wear on your back up to 15kg weights
- Wear and breath through an enclosed face mask and additional PPE