This unit specifies the outcomes required to conduct routine monthly, six-monthly and yearly inspections and testing of fire extinguishers, fire blankets and hose reels at a customer’s premises.
This unit provides people with the knowledge and skills required to undertake testing and tagging, including:
- The dangers of mixing extinguishing agents.
- Disposal requirements for waste products.
- Key features of legislation, regulations and codes applicable to selecting, positioning, inspecting and testing installed fire extinguishers and fire blankets to meet hazard present in the area to be protected.
- OHS issues and requirements and action to take when a breach of health, safety or other policy occurs.
- Purpose of the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and ‘deemed to comply’ requirements relevant to installation of extinguishers and fire blankets.
- Conforming to environmental protection authority (EPA) regulations, or equivalent, with respect to discharge tests.
- Ensuring gauges and scales are calibrated regularly.
- Folding fire blankets according to manufacturers’ instructions.
- Special requirements for aggressive environments, such as those with high moisture, dust levels or acidity.
- Types and quantities of spare parts that should be carried.
- Types of extinguisher operation.
- Types of extinguishing agents.
- Inspect and test fire hose reels
- Replace fire hoses and drums as required
Students who attend and successfully meet all assessment requirements of the course will receive a nationally recognised statement of attainment with the following units of competency: CPPFES2020A Conduct routine inspection and testing of fire extinguishers and fire blankets & CPPFES2010A Inspect and test fire hose reels.
There is a maximum number of 10 participants per program.
To meet the course requirements, students must:
- Have sufficient English language, literacy and numeracy skills to read instructions and write assessments
- Provide their USI on enrolment
- Provide proof of identity, e.g. drivers licence
- Wear or bring long sleeve, long pants and closed in shoes
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Students are required to be able to complete the following tasks:
- communicate with others clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- find and use relevant information
- read and comply with work instructions and specifications
- read and record measurements
- record and report information neatly and legibly